Billy Moore’s Case: The One That Got Parole

You’ve heard of Billy Moore’s Case. It’s a tale of how he became loved by the victim’s family. Here’s everything you need to know.

It all started in the year 1974. Billy Moore was a 22year-old Army Private. Moore just returned from deployment in Germany to only come home to find out that his wife was being intimate with a drug dealer and she was heavily addicted to heroin.

For Moore to save his 3-year-old son, Moore took him, and they moved into a trailer. However, Moore’s paychecks from his army job were coming in his wife’s name. For the checks to change over to his name, it would take at least 90 days.

Moore told them that he does not have 90 days. That he has bills to pay and a son to support. Moore then looked to see if he could get some help from the local charities and even went as far as pleading with the army to see if they could speed up the process. Every avenue Moore went down, no one could help him whatsoever.

After a while, Moore started just thinking that he and his son would be living in their more trailer with no furniture or no food since there is nothing else, he could truly do.

The Crime at Hand

It was not until a friend of Moore’s gave him an awesome tip he could not refuse. This friend knew of someone that kept nearly $30,000 cash in his house.

This could be the answer to Moore’s problem. Prior to this Moore did not have any sort of criminal history. But at this time, burglary seemed to be the only option Moore truly had to solve his financial issues.

Late one night, Moore broke into the home. While he was scouring around the home in the dark, he found the man’s rifle. This is when Moore was shot at. Moore then took the pistol he had in his pocket and shot in the direction of where the shot came from.

A few seconds later, Moore heard somebody fall to the ground. This is when Moore starting walking towards that general direction and he saw Mr. Stapleton lying on the ground face down. When Moore looked more closely, he noticed that Mr. Stapleton had two wallets in his pants pockets that were full of money. Moore took the wallets, picked up Mr. Stapleton’s rifle and walked to his car.

It was not until the next day when the officers, met up with Moore. This is where the police apprehended Moore. This is when Moore realized that what he did was not only going to affect him but his family and Mr. Stapleton’s family.

Billy Moore Case Trial

Billy Moore went to trial. Moore pled guilty. This trial had no jury, the trial only consisted of a judge. When the prosecution or what is known as the state was done with their side of the story, it was then Moore’s defense attorney’s turn. This is where his defense team decided it was best to admit to the crime at hand and ask for mercy.

Moore got on the stand and he explained exactly what happened to the judge as far as he could remember. Moore was not planning on doing that, but since he was pleading guilty, he decided that was probably the best option.

All in all, the trial only lasted half a day. The trial transcript was only around 55 pages long. However, in many of the trial cases like Moore’s they have over 1,200 pages.

Victim’s Family Change of Heart? Georgia Death Row

The victim’s family members in court testified against Moore, but when it came to the parole board hearing, these same family members testified on behalf of Moore.

Ultimately, when the parole board hearing was going on the victim’s family got everyone together. They had a bus full of 50 plus people. These people were either family or friends.

Moore told his lawyers that he didn’t want anyone to harass the victim’s family and friends. Moore stated that he was friends with them and that they would do anything for him.

So ultimately when the friends and family members found out about the parole hearing, they rallied everyone together. They told the parole board that yes, they lost one of their family members, but that Moore became a part of their family throughout the years and that they did not want to lose yet another member of their family.

It was not until a year later that the parole board officially overturned the 25-year limit and paroled Moore. Moore is just one of the very few people who were guilty of a crime and was sentenced to death, but now are free.

Related Posts