The Idaho Department of Correction all started back in Lewiston and Idaho City. in 1864, the territorial legislature officially designated two city jails to be turned into territorial prisons.
During the next 8 years, these jails would house around 100 inmates and serve the territory it was on. Majority of the inmates during this time were residents of Idaho City. Unfortunately, then during the 1900s, majority of the then Idaho City territorial prison broke away and fell into the Elk Creek due to gold diggers undermining the area.
However, as of today, you can find what remained of the Idaho City territorial prison in Idaho City.
The first facility that was officially built and opened under the Idaho Department of Corrections is the Idaho State Correctional Institution. The Idaho State Correctional Institution opened its doors back in 1972.
The main mission and vision at the Idaho Department of Corrections is to provide individuals who are in one of the correctional facilities a safe and humane environment where they can learn to be accountable and take responsibility for their actions.